Garden walk

Garden walk
Here is my almost completed brick walk, 15 cents a brick, from the salvage section of Lehi Block

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

volunteers

Don't you love volunteers!

I don't have any this year, being the first full gardening year in this spot, but I received some pepper starts today from a friend, from a pepper she composted last year!

And she gave me a soft, delicious lettuce too, which was new for her last year, and she let one go to seed and planted a whole patch this year from last year's plant, which I will do over the next cycle as well.

I still have seeds from deadheading at our last garden, and I'm looking forward to seeing which plants will thrive here (I know some will have finicky roots--our last place wasn't friendly to basil, for some reason). But I have to plant them in weed-free spots. After they come up I can transplant to less ideal locations when they will have strength to battle the weeds and win. My nice garden space is becoming premium space. As usual, I overestimate the area I have to plant. I'm already planning where I will expand for next year!

A local grocery had English cucumbers on sale today. I'm going to see if they have any viable seeds inside to grow for this year. The Japanese prefer the seedless variety (which may make it hard to produce :), they make pickles just by salting and draining them overnight? longer? Ahem, I am the daughter of an Idaho potato farmer/dairy farmer. I am not a gourmet chef. Unlike the Son of a Dietitian who I married (whether or not that is a curse or praise depends on the tone of voice...)

No comments:

Post a Comment